Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Zeehan to Strahan

    September 11, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    We were thankful to be in a cabin when we woke this morning, listening to the rain coming down and being able to have a hot shower 😄

    It was hard to get going knowing we were heading out into the cold and rain but finally braved it and headed off to the Spray Tunnel, which apparently has flow worms in it. I thought there was a 1km walk to get there but arrived to find you could park right near the entrance (you just have to walk if you have a motorhome or caravan) so that worked out really well.

    It's a cool old tunnel 100m long built to bring tanks through to the tin mine. We didn't see any glow worms though, maybe you need to go at night for them 🤷🏽‍♀️

    As we were driving out of Zeehan we saw a pioneer cemetery 1891-1930 which was really interesting and well worth the stop. It's like they just put the graves wherever, there is no order and so many are overgrown. We even saw two wooden headstones!

    We continued onto Strahan and meandered though the timber shops. The smell of Huon pine is just beautiful.

    With the weather so unpredictable we ended up getting a package deal for accommodation and tickets on the Gordon River Cruise tomorrow 🤗 (handy having RACQ membership, it saved us an extra $45 which I was very happy about)

    The sun came out at lunchtime so we were able to make lunch in a park and did the Hogarth Falls walk which was lovely, before heading back into Strahan to find our room for the night, we just managed to get our stuff out of the car before the rain and wind hit again!
    Read more