Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Queenstown to Linda Creek Campground

    September 13, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We woke to a beautiful day, blue sky and super cold.

    Queenstown was the first stop for us today, we weren't expecting much after reading a few reviews of the area but we were pleasantly surprised and ended up spending most of the day wandering around the area. Mt Owen towering over Queenstown really makes it look beautiful, and to top it off there was a sprinkling of snow on the top of it today 🥰

    The museum had so much information in it you could spend a day there. The old Empire Hotel is just beautiful inside, with a staircase that was built in England, they sent the wood over from here and then sent it back to be constructed!

    After a short walk up to a lookout over the township we headed off for a drive around and stopped at the pioneer cemetery 1895-1905. This cemetery is on a hill which would have made carrying caskets to the grave sites quite difficult!

    Just out of town is Horsetail Falls a short half hour return walk. But gives great views of the surrounding area.

    The amount of mountain bike tracks in the area is just insane! If you were into downhill mountain biking Queenstown is definitely the place to go.

    Across the road (to the entrance of Horsetail Falls walk) is another lookout Iron Blow which is the remainder of an old open cut mine. You can drive right up to this lookout.

    Originally we planned to head to Derwent Bridge for the night but after spending so long looking around Queenstown we checked wikicamps for a Freecamps campsite. The second one we looked at was perfect, so set up for the night looking out over Lake Burbury.
    Read more