Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Styx Valley

    September 17, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    We packed up the rooftop tent and headed to the Styx Valley. Also known as The valley of the Giants. This is the area where conservationists chained themselves to trees to get the government to stop logging in the valley. They were successful with large areas being kept as conservation areas.

    We headed first up to what's called the carbon trail. An area that is one of the most carbon dense in the world. The track heading up was very overgrown and we weren't sure if it was worth it. But when we got there and headed into the 1km circuit that was only marked by pink tape. It was just amazing.

    Totally untouched, no proper paths your climbing over branches and walking under tree ferns. Each turn is another incredible tree. I think it's probably one of our favourite walks we've done. At the end it almost spits you out of the rainforest into the clearing its quite incredible.

    Then headed to the Big Tree Reserve where we made lunch on the side of the road before heading around the easy 1km board walk circuit and then across the road there is a track that takes you down to the Styx River.

    The plan was to head down to the Tolkin Track but we passed it which worked out well because we ended up at the Chapel Tree. Another drive where we wondered if it was going to be worth it. Three times Bart had to get out to cut branches back away from the road.

    The entrance sign has fallen off so it was only because we had a map we found it. It was another short 500m walk from the road following pink tape again but we rounded a corner and there was one of the biggest trees I'd ever seen. You could fit 10+people inside it! Bart didn't have to even duck to head inside!

    We then headed back to the NP Campground for the night. We've had such a great time at Mt Field NP.
    Read more