Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Mt Field to Bruny Island

    September 18, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    This morning we packed up and said goodbye to Mt Field NP 😥 we've had such a good time here.

    We headed through New Norfolk which is a lovely town (picked up some supplies at Woolies) and continued down through Hobart to Mt Wellington. But we (probably more me) had totally forgotten what day it was 🤦🏽‍♀️ so started to head up the windy tight road to where the walks started and there were so many cars heading up and down. The carpark was packed! So we pretty much just got out of there. Note to self don't go to Mt Wellington on a Sunday!

    We went back down the road to the Cascade brewery for lunch and looked at a new plan of attack as to where to head next.

    We were only about half an hour away from where you get the ferry to Bruny Island so decided to head there today and try to do some walks in the morning (apparently it's not going to rain tomorrow 🤞)

    So we headed to the ferry and only had to wait 10 minutes for the next one.

    I hadn't really looked into Bruny Island but it had come up a lot on searches about Tassie, I don't really know what I was expecting.

    We stopped in at the Bruny Island cheese factory on the way past but it was packed. So we thought we'd head to the lighthouse but then realised it would be another hour driving to get there and back to the campsite for the night.

    But we went down to Cloudy Bay because it said there was a free campsite there so thought we'd check it out. That way we could go look at the lighthouse tomorrow morning. It turned out to be just a muddy very uneven carpark with a long drop toilet.

    So after having a look at the beach and doing a very short walk around a bit of the foreshore we headed back to Neck Beach Reserve Campground and set up.

    This site is quite good and well protected and we managed to park near the shelter 🤗

    Going to try to get going early tomorrow and get the Fluted Cape Circuit done and possibly The Arch (but we'll see how we go for time) then head back to the mainland and keep heading south.
    Read more