Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Hobart to White Beach

    September 20, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    We walked down to Customs House Hotel last night for tea which was so nice. It worked out well because they had a scallops 2 course special (seafood chowder and curried scallops on rice) which suited Bart to a T 🤗

    We then meandered back to the B&B through the narrow, dimly lit streets, admiring the beautiful old homes in the area.

    This morning we checked out of our room (they were happy for us to leave the 79 in their carpark, yay!) and headed off to find somewhere to get breakfast and have a look around.

    I think it was the best way to see the area, there are little plaques on a lot of the houses giving you the history of the property, we had such a great morning walking around Battery Point reading up on the history on a lot of the homes, most dating back to the early 1800's. Then headed down to Salamanca, along the wharfs and into Hobart.

    In fact the oldest registered B&B in Australia is at Battery Point and is called Barton Cottage.

    We called into the Lark Distillery which is the oldest whiskey distillery in Tasmania. The founder even had to get the laws changed so he could legally make whiskey, as the production of whiskey in Tasmania had been banned for over 150 years.

    After some lunch at a little Cafe we headed back to the car and headed down to White Beach Tourist park which is 10 minutes from Port Arthur.

    Tomorrow morning we head off on the Tasman Cruise with Pennicott Wilderness Tours and then have a look around Port Arthur.
    Read more