Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Oatlands & Tunbridge

    September 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 5 °C

    The rain didn't let up all night so my cute husband packed up the rooftop this morning in the rain (again 🙄) There wasn't even a shelter nearby to have breakfast in, so we went looking for a Cafe. Fortunately we found one open (everything else in the town opens at 10am!).

    After breakfast the rain had eased to a drizzle so we headed down towards the History Room museum and found a little cottage that was 'open for inspection' it was actually being auctioned off today so we had a look inside. Oh boy, the entire inside would have had to be redone to make it liveable, but you could have made it super quaint. It did sell for $380k.

    Then called into Callington Mill Distillery and sampled some of their whisky which ended up being the cheapest whisky to purchase so far in Tasmania.

    The History Room opened at 10am and the gentleman manning it today was so helpful, he had grown up in the area and took us around the displays explaining each of them to us and giving background information along the way. He then gave us a key fob (after leaving a refundable deposit with him) which gave us access to the Court House, Gaol and the Commissariat. You can just go let yourself in and have a look around these old buildings. It was excellent.

    We ended up spending so much more time than we expected to in Oatlands as there's so much interesting history there. We had savoury crepes for lunch from the pancake and crepe shop. The owners were from Brisbane too and gave us a bonus of scones, jam and cream to take with us!

    We headed up the road and detoured off the highway to look at Tunbridge which has the oldest wooden surfaced bridge in Australia. It's currently closed for renovations but still good to check out.
    Read more