Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Hobart to Oatlands

    September 23, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    This morning (after a not so great experience at a Big 4 caravan park) we got up early and headed back to Hobart. We only went in there so we could get some laundry done, but even that was sooo expensive in comparison to other places.

    Back in Hobart, we decided to split up, Bart went to the Maritime Museum while I had a look around the city then I met him and we went though the Tasmanian Museum (which was free 🤗).

    After a lovely lunch at Mures on the wharf we headed north, stopping at the Killara Distillery that we had been recommended to stop at by our Accountant while we were here.

    Kristy who owns it is the daughter of the Lark Distillery owners so grew up in the industry. Because we were the only ones there we got the full tour and even got to taste the whisky prior to it being barrelled. It was also the first distillery we've been to that we weren't charged to taste the Whisky and Gin!

    We headed onto Oatlands our stop for tonight to another freecamp near a lake. So much nicer than a sterile caravan park, where everyone is jammed in next to each other!

    The rain started when we arrived so we'll explore this place tomorrow when it's hopefully drier 🤞 Oatlands has the most sandstone homes from the colonial period in Australia. The Callington Mill Distillery is also here.

    Fun fact, the longest serving hangman in the British Empire lived in Oatlands. He was an ex convict and worked as a hangman from 25 to his last hanging at 71! He was paid per person that he hung and was sent all over Tasmania hanging people! 😬
    Read more