Satellite
  • Day 78

    Boat Day near Hoi An

    March 29, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We spent the day on a boat today! And I went scuba diving for the first time :) we started out by heading to one spot where everyone either dove, snorkeled, or just hung out drinking beers. I got my scuba gear on and got in the water. We went down in pairs with a guide the first time just to get used to it as neither of us had ever done it before. And I had a minor panic attack gotta be honest. When we got underwater and everything was silent all the anxiety and loneliness that had been building over the last few days just surfaced.. So I went back to the boat instead of completing the dive. It was nothing to do with the dive itself but just the oppressive silence bringing everything to the surface.. So I had a good chat with one of the group leaders that really helped me feel better, nice guy! And then I was ready to try again. And second attempt was a huge success! I went down solo with the guide this time, JG, and he was super understanding and helpful and really made sure it was a positive experience. Definitely recommend this dive shop! I'll have to ask the group leaders for the name so I can leave a positive review on google or trip advisor, that's how great he was. Anyway, we spent 40 minutes under the water this time around and went to about 9m deep. It was amazing! The visibility was apparently not great but I didn't care about that, I was underwater, my favourite place to be! Silence, no communication, just the sound of your breathing. We swam around some coral reefs and went through some schools of fish, JG pointed out all the dangerous/poisonous ones to avoid and even grabbed a finding nemo fish at one point, pretty damn cool! I really really really loved the experience and would definitely do it again! Especially if visibility only gets better from what I hear :)

    We stopped at an island for lunch and had a family style lunch again. Great food as always! After lunch I spent more time swimming and enjoying the water. Didn't think I was a beach person but apparently I can get into it when the water is so perfect for swimming ;) I'm curious now about the beaches in Thailand, the Philippines, and Indonesia.. Maybe one day!

    After a while we hopped back onto the boat and went back to the hotel and then to pick up our custom made clothing! I'm pretty happy with the results, didn't grab any decent photos though so it'll be a surprise for everyone at home ;)

    Following that we went out for a group dinner at a fairly fancy restaurant. And I had a (decent) bottle of wine for the first time in a while! Delicious. And a white truffle gnocchi. My jaw locked up on me after the dive so it was the only thing I could really eat... Afterwards we went to the same bar we were at the other night with the pool tables and foosball. I played a few games of pool and we called it a night when the bar closed at midnight.
    Read more