Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    More pictures of Himba Living Museum

    November 23, 2019 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    The village is a showcase of how Himba people live. So people acted on their roles when we walked close to them. We saw them doing metal works; sitting in the cottages that were so low one could only sit inside; women put on the red clay on body, which was powder ground from red rocks shipped here from northern Namibia and mixed it with butter from the milk; making corn meals, etc. The last act was a dancing show. I believe they enjoyed singing and dancing the most. Almost all of them from different posts joined together when a few started to sing and dance. The lyric sounded quite simple, a lot of repeated pronunciations. The guide said they sang the mountains and rivers, like the colors and the shape of them.

    We left them a bag of potatoes and a loaf bread. The guide also asked for cold water, we instead gave him a box of juice. The woman in the last picture was their “controller”. The other guy was the black smith. He and his brother danced with the girls. His brother was cute and smiled more.

    Finn said it was hard to take pictures of them because they were too dark. He was right. When I looked at the pictures now they don’t have layers and shades. They looked all dark even in the eye-blinding brightness.

    We left the village before 12, as planned. And I drove!
    Read more