Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Turkey - Day 2 Tour

    July 29, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Just starting the day. We have covered from the jet lag and are heading off to breakfast and then onto our tour of the city.

    We found a place that did great Iced Coffees, going back in the morning.

    Kirah and I managed to work out the tram system, not easy when it's not in English and you have to buy a card from one place and add money to it at a machine before you can ride the tram.

    We managed to tram it and then walk up a hill that almost rivalled the Volcano walk in Bali - well not quite but my legs say differently to the Gelato Tower. This tower reminds me of Game of Thrones Red Keep AND it lights up at night RED. Built by the Genoise and is considered one of the oldest and highest tiers in Istanbul and was built in the 14th Century.

    We then came back to the hotel and we had a sauna, turkish bath, scrub down and massage. Felt like a new person.

    We spent tonight with Barbaros who took us on a night tour and discovered a few things but most of all we had a lot of laughs and fun and Kirah re-learned how to play Backgammon.

    Things I learned about Turkey today:

    1: Friendliest cats we have ever met and while they are not everywhere or over run there are enough to notice and again friendly

    2: The people are also very nice and friendly.

    3: 16 Million people live in Istanbul,.

    4: 60% of the population live on the European side and 40% live on the Asian side.

    5: The Asian side is where the young people go to hang out and have fun and finish the night if drinking with stuffed Mussels or Lamb Intestines, both taste better than they sound.

    6: Oh and they have a great tram system, like Melbourne.

    7: They also have lots and lots of Ferries like Sydney

    8: There is a popular myth about the Galata Tower. If you take your boy/girlfriend up to the top and kiss them then you will stay together forever.

    9: Turkey Maccas DO NOT have hash browns, what the??? Not that we have eaten thete, Our guide didn't know what a hash brown was so we checked. Our guide from yesterd say has never ever eaten sweet corn soup, didn't know what it was.

    That's it for today - see ya tomorrow.
    Read more