Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Chichen Itza and Volladolid

    June 12, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Drove out to Chichen Itza. Took the free road that was supposed to be about a half hour longer than the 2 hour toll road but ended up being about 3 hours there but we drove through a bunch of little towns. Discovered that coca cola must be huge here as it was painted on the side of nearly every market along the way. It was fascinating to see all the people in the little towns. We passed through one town that almost everyone was riding in a little cart attached to the front of a bike or motorcycle. They even had a dedicated lane for them. The kids all seem to have to wear uniforms to school and are still in school this time of the year. There was a ton of activity and people picking kids up from school with the carts. Another town was lined with nurseries. The sidewalks seem to have been built over whatever previously laid there so they went up and down constantly. People were out getting building supplies and sticks, rocks, bricks, etc. Most of the houses had no doors on them, not sure if they take them off during the day or just don't have them.

    Finally got to the ruins and immediately found a your guide. As soon as we got out of the car it began pouring but cleared up quickly. Enjoyed our tour and then bought a couple of items. Caitlin got a jaguar head that you blow into to make noise and my mom got more earrings and Lisa got a plate that I never got to see.

    Stopped at a buffet not far after the ruin exit that had some good food and nice atmosphere.

    The trip back was on the toll highway that was 18 dollars but 110 kph instead of 90. It was also more of a straight shot. Stopped in Volladolid to print Xcaret tickets but decided just to buy them on site instead as we were only saving 5 dollars a ticket and it was more of a hassle. Checked out the narrow and Spanish style streets and then headed back home.
    Read more