Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Meekatharra

    August 22, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Yesterday was a fairly uneventful driving day. We left the gravel pit at Capricorn and headed down the road and you never know what might be around the next bend. Oversize loads abound in this area, dozers, loaders, dongas, trucks and tipping bodies. We stopped for the night in a parking area about 30 kms from Kumarina Roadhouse. It was quite a pretty spot with white gums and flowering bushes. There was also this rocky ridge that had what looked like beachside rocks with all the little oysters picked off them. Hard to catch it in the photos.
    Today we headed to Meekatharra. More interesting encounters on the way. Yesterday it was the trucks today it was the the tipping trays. We called in for morning tea at a pink lake. It's on private property but only a hundred metres from the road. We also stopped for a toilet break on the Gascoyne river. Arrived in Meekatharra after numerous stops taking photos of flowers and had lunch at the bakery and called into the visitor centre, where we had a great chat with the ladies and baby Aurora. We have settled down at Peace Gorge for the night, about 3kms out of town. Once called the Devils Playground, this site was chosen for a picnic to celebrate the end of World War 1 and has been known as Peace Gorge ever since. Not sure where tomorrow will take us but we will let you know.
    Read more