Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Sofia

    May 5, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We actually woke up on time! Go team!
    We left the house around 7. It was raining so we wanted to get a taxi as soon as possible but we only had 50's and don't trust the taxi driver at the end of the trip to not be like "oh sorry no change" so we walked for a little bit to a servo, bought a drink then jumped into the first taxi we saw.
    Another legit driver! He also had a meter and went the quickest way. He also asked if we were Cold and would like the aircon on. That sort of lovely behavior earned him a small tip and he was really thankful and I think, surprised.
    We were early so we found the cafe we were to meet at but it was closed :( 95% of things don't open until 9.
    So back to trusty maccas we went -.-
    Interestingly they don't have a breakfast menu which suits me perfectly but it's still different.
    I'm liking Bulgaria more and more. I don't know why I was so put off at first. Possibly because it was dark, we were lost and the taxi driver ripped us off or the outskirts of the city are dodge but now I love it. It has a similar charm to Macedonia but is more established I think.
    On foot is much better than by car. You miss so much of the everyday life vibe when driving.
    We went back to the meeting place and were first to arrive. We had our names marked off and talked to one of the owners of the company dudes. He was saying that he studied both in Bulgaria and in an American school in Greece and he said the systems where very different. He said the American school had a lot of focus on team work which Bulgaria does not. He said as a company owner that causes a lot of problems because everyone is a lovely individual but team work doesn't happen easily or naturally.
    There is about 26 on our tour but the bus has a microphone so that helps.
    Will has had to move away from me so he has 2 seats and can sit sidewards so he fits.
    We first drove to Boyana church which although beautiful inside was kinda boring. The church only allowed 10 people in at a time for 10 minutes each so we had some waiting to do.
    We pre bought our tickets online but the guide made no notion for people to collect tickets. He was really confused and said he has never heard of this before so I showed him the invoice.
    He made a phone call and we were allowed to enter and thankfully didn't have to pay again.
    Inside didn't have an inch not painted. The artist only used red, yellow, blue, black and white.
    We used the loo there which had a big 'free of charge' sign woo. turned out to be the cleanest public toilet I've been in. Like a church toilet. Spacious, empty tiles.
    We got back on the bus and are on the way to Rila monastery. I was doing fine before but now I'm exhausted and I think I had a sleep.
    We are currently 20 minutes out winding up the mountain.
    Will was so very tired so we went straight to the resturant first to get him a coffee and food.
    He ordered meatballs, or he thought he did.
    They brought a singular meatball out and I had such a laugh.
    I had a look around the shops while he finished his small chips.
    We bought traditional Bulgarian donuts (Wills meatball didn't fill him) and sat by a waterfall. Took selfies with the GoPro then went walking around the monastery.
    It's incredible! I love the wood, white and arches.
    We saw a monk :D Only 10 still work here. He was a super old dude too.
    I followed him so I could get a photo haha.
    We went into the gallery but we had to pay so we left. We could practically see every artwork from the front door anyways and it was just silly saint pictures anyways.
    We then went to its museum which had some cool stuff in it. (8Lev)would love to be able to enter the library and see old the old books they have. Only some were on display and some were replicas of ones in the library.
    There was a wooden cross carved by Rafail- it was insane!!!!
    There were gifts other countries had sent and and this really old door. Like stereotypical wooden with a big knocker.
    They had some of the monks personal stamps too.
    We couldn't take pictures inside.
    We also went to another museum type section (3Lev) which had your basic life stuff like a mill and logging stuff but it also had pots and pans but the BIGGEST pot I've ever seen with humongous spoons.
    In the pot you could easily cook 8 -10 fully grown men.
    The roof was awesome though. It was like the tower in the first lord of the rings that Gandalf gets thrown against by old mate.
    We learnt that it was designed like that for the smoke.
    I really enjoyed the monastery. Will was a bit eh but he gets like that when he is tired and hungry.
    I had a look at the gift shops but it was again all religious crap. I mean that with respect but I don't believe it praying to saints. Only God.
    We paid for audio guides but one was out of battery so Will let me use the working one only it didn't have designated spots to press numbers.
    There was only 5 bits of info but they went for 5+ minutes each.
    I listened to them of the bus home. Waste of money really. Oh well. I did enjoy watching the lightning flashes on the horizon on the journey home.
    The bus ride home was quieter than the journey there. The 5 Italians behind me shut up and had a sleep.
    Will was really hungry so when we got back he got a burger. On the way we saw a man holding a lawn umbrella for protection hahahah it was so big!
    We then went to the boulevard and had drinks. The roads were very blocked - we don't know what for but there was a very large group of people standing out the front of parliament with a horn that sounded like a duck?
    We decided to wait until it cleared to go home.
    We sat at a cafe for a bit then Will started crashing hard so we left. We walked across the bridge with pictures so I had a look at the other side. I would have liked to read the blurbs but I didn't want to push it lol.
    The first taxi we flagged didn't speak English so he drove off. The second guy I'm pretty sure took a longer than necessary route but it was still cheap so that's ok.
    Will is in bed finally so he is happier :)
    I'm at dominos writing this.
    Movie and pizza night!

    The monastery was founded by a monk in the 10th century who wanted to escape. He lived in solitude in a cave. People heard of him and eventually more monks joined and they moved the monastery to where it is now. The cave is about 4km away and founder is buried there.

    We also did enter the main church in the monastery, its beautiful and covered with gold. There are the founders relics inside. Supposedly they have magic powers and many many miracles have happened.
    Read more