Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3

    March 4, 2020 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    So tired eek.
    Thankfully everyone is dead too so we didn’t get moving this morning until 12. Tom got a foot massage and apparently the lady was beside herself with his size asking how much he weighed and just totally flabbergasted hahaha
    We jumped on one of the tuk tuks waiting outside our hotel. We negotiated $18 for a return trip to the killing fields. It was a bloody long way or at least it felt like it cause we were going through little communities. Asia just looks all the same, dusty, piles of bricks everywhere, shop fronts selling junk and small children out and about in farmland.
    The killing fields are how I remover but also different. I feel like last time I walk the circuit the other way??
    Anyway, the audio guide was excellent. Informative it not too much.
    Each station was very interesting.
    The first few were this is where the truck stopped as prisoners got out, they is where the chemical shed stood etc. the next majority were the different mass graves. Bone and cloth still beneath the soil - cleaned up every few months before fresh ones rise to the surface.
    It was a solemn walk. Everyone in total silence. There was a grace for women and children. Most naked. A tree next to it had been covered in bright bracelet things. This tree was wee guards held babies by their feet and smashed their heads against the tree before throwing them into the grave.
    There was another tree called the magic tree where they had speaker phones attached to hide the moans of victims to keep it all a secret.
    I think the most impactuous thing I heard today was music. This music was played from the tree, it was the last thing the victims heard before being slaughtered.
    The big monument in the middles houses a lot of the skeletons. They are categorized into sections with sticker codes. Gender, age and cause of death.
    We went to a tiny museum attached next door which had the Khmer uniforms and murder weapons.
    We also watched a movie which was awful - a year 5 PowerPoint presentation at best. They should update..
    We caught our tuk tuk back and got stuck in a mad traffic jam and then suddenly it was like the flood gates open and everyone just started moving again.
    We went to kfc for lunch as if was next to the mumu place we planned to go to which was closed. Nothing special.
    We went back to hotel, I went upstairs and hung my legs in the pool. I got bored so I went down stairs for an unsuccessful nap.
    Our phones have been dinging all afternoon cause everyone is so confused by the wedding Andre are trying to sort out information. Me and Will are ignoring at the moment cause we have chosen not to go to the 1st day ceremony. Having 3 ceremonies that are so different from each other seems to beyond everyone capability to understand lol.
    I need to go shopping tomorrow for a different dress for the morning ceremonies tho.

    We went to a sports bar for dinner. I had ice cream cause I wasn’t really hungry. Will had nothing. Tom and Joey enjoyed their food though.
    We then played a game of pool. It was 50c per game. We decided to get rid of some of our Riel.
    So stupid. It’s 1000 Riel for 25c. They have notes of 100 Riel so 2.5c worth. Painful to add up.

    Jordan sent through a pic of us on a tuk tuk from yesterday. I like it :)
    Back at the hotel now. It’s 8pm. Happy to have more down time. I think it’s the heat that is taking it it of me.

    I think my main observations of the day are that I am yet to see a person missing a limb and the road safety has drastically improved. 99% have helmets on an 80% have one the one person the bike.
    Max I have seen is 3.
    2 adults with a child squashed between. But only like 2 of them.
    So so so different to last time!!

    Also, I did not like that the mass graves had money in them or more over, I didn’t like that it was only even 100 riel (2.5c) which seems more like an insult to me as 99% visiting are tourists with money. If you can pay the entry fee you have more than 2c. It seemed inappropriate.
    Read more