Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2

    March 3, 2020 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Workers started early this morning. 😪
    Very loud. They are drilling the road so literally the loudest possible tool - a jackhammer. I feel rested enough; It was an odd sleep though? Not as deep as I would have liked.
    We went down to meet Tom and Joey for breakfast which we are currently under the impression is included.
    Great spread! I ate so much mango and the french toast was note worthy good.

    Tom needed to get fitted for his traditional wedding stuff so we went with him to the shop. We have agreed we will just pay $4 per tuk tuk. Probably more than we should pay for some of the local journeys but it’s $1 each. More than reasonable.
    It was a bit of saga getting this fitting done.
    First off we went to the wrong shop and had to call Bobbin to clarify the shop (there was 3 with the same name all next to each other) . He sent us to the right one but then no one spoke English 🙃🙃 so then we had to call Sabdy to talk to them for us. We had played charades for 10 minutes with no success. Sabdy legit said 2 words to them and then all 3 workers let out an OHHHHH if sudden understanding. Bloody hell.
    When they saw Tom their eyes nearly popped out of their heads. Genuine concern they don’t have enough fabric/time. 😂
    The lady literally shooed is our the show.
    Hey, at least she gave sign language a go. A skill I’ve learnt Asians struggle with.
    We then walked to the Tuol Sleng Genocide museum or S21. We were meeting up with Steven, Jordan & Vanessa so we popped in to a local shop for a drink. I got my coconut - yum!
    It would be super cheap here if our dollar was such a piece of shit at the moment. It the lowest it’s been since 2008 or some shit. Standard. I travel and the dollar goes bad.😬 This time coronavirus is to blame. Alas.
    We met up and all walked in together. We chose not to get the audio guide.
    The building use to be a school before converted to a prison.
    There were several buildings.
    Building A was large rooms with metal beds in them. Most of them had a photo on the wall of a victim in the bed. The rooms were massive and presumably multipurpose. There were 3 levels.
    There was a sign with the prison rules.
    I remember the rules from last time. They were just as horrifying this time.
    You may not cry when being whipped or electrocuted.
    They had the bars and pots on display from where the prisoners would be hung up, half drowned then the process repeated.

    Building B had photos of the victims and some of their clothes. Also some horrendous torture photos of the methods and instruments.

    Building C were the jail cells I suppose you would call them. Some brick and some wood. Some still with drops of blood.

    Building D was more photos and skulls of victims.

    Maybe not 100% accurate. I was more focused at looking at the displays than taking note of order and building letter.
    It was sobering.
    For me a highlight was meeting one of two remaining survivors, Bou Meng.
    12,000 went in. 7 came out.
    He showed me some of his scars, and a photo of his wife who was killed. I bought his book and he insisted I get a photo with him. I didn’t know whether to smile or not?
    I told him I’m so sorry it happened.

    The group then went walking and found a cafe to hang out in and have some drinks. We got told to shut up by a person trying to do work. Will and Tom are so bad for each other lol.
    We then got tuk tuks to the national museum which frankly was not worth the $10USD entry each. Lots of Buddhist statues and not much else. The actually building itself and garden were beautiful though and had some awesome fish in the ponds .

    Next Tuk tuk was to the central markets. Our driver spoke great English so we exchange numbers for if we need a driver. He couldn’t remember his number because “ ahh I’ve had too many beers” oh that’s great... hahaha jeez.
    We had a look around and all bought some stuff. Tom bought the stupidest Gucci man bag thing. It’s ugly and some bejeweled watch that looks fake AF.
    Will bought a wallet, Joey a statue and I bought 2 shirts and a necklace.
    I’d like to go back cause I was just so tired and couldn’t really engage.
    We started a fight with the tuk tuk drivers. Tom promised one dude and another dude chucked a toddler tantrum.
    Cambodia, Thai and Vietnamese all have awful accents/high choppy, whiny voices.
    Back home and I had a nap while the boys went for a swim. So damn tired.

    Will booked a Resturant. It was traditional Cambodian food - super fancy. Tom accidentally ordered a $60USD steak. The table was in hysterics at this mistake.
    He did get it changed in time. Shame. Would have been hilarious.
    I had saramam beef <— definitely not correct spelling.
    So good!!
    We then went to the casino. We walked past these night eatery places with the flashing (Christmas) lights everywhere. Good vibes.

    The casino was both weird and generic.
    First to get in they took out temperature in an attempt to stop the virus spreading. Fair enough. They had awful entertainment. It was like eisteddfod standard and so cheesy! The audience was like 4 people. Awks.

    Will bought a round for everyone and then pissed of with Tom and Steven to gamble. I spent the nugget mostly talking to Jordan and Nessa.

    The casino had the COOLEST room which was like old school china buildings with a painted blue sky roof which was a major trip. BLOODY LOVED IT. Couldn’t take photos unfortunately. I got one up my nostrils tho.
    Prostitutes were casually hanging out at the bar waiting.

    I’m crashing so I’m now home. So is everyone but Tom and Will who are celebrating Bobbins bucks.... with out Bobbin. 😂
    Read more