Satellite
  • Day 9

    Donegal, Ireland

    August 28, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We left Achill Island in the rain and wind this morning, we have been very fortunate so far with the weather. On our way we drove to the headland of Mullaghmore, we read the town was where Lord Mountbatten holidayed and had been assassinated whilst fishing off these shores, coincidentally the anniversary of his death had been on 27 August. The reason for our detour had been to view a Castle that is prominent on Mullaghmore's skyline, Classiebawn Castle which was formerly the holiday home of Lord Mountbatten.

    We then travelled along the banks of the Lower Lough Erne which took us into Northern Ireland on our way to Enniskillen. We were hoping for some scenery, but the roads are narrow and right up to the tree line so there is no room for stopping and we only had glimpses of the lake at times. Once we reached Enniskillen and had lunch we followed the opposite bank of the lake back to Ireland and onto Donegal. The rain had cleared by mid afternoon so we had a walk around town, our accommodation is right in the middle of town on Diamond Square. We walked along the banks of the Eske river which flows into Donegal Bay. The walk amongst the moss covered trees was like walking through an enchanted forest, there were fairy doors in the nooks of the trees and mushrooms and toadstools growing in the mossy banks.
    Read more