Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    One final dive

    May 6 in Chile ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    On Moday we finally managed to visit the Rapa Nui museum. We'd tried to go a couple of times but we had always either run late, or found the museum closed.
    We were glad we managed to go, as the museum was really interesting, covering a lot of what Toŋa had already told us, but also adding some new things.
    One of these was about the volcanic origins of the island. The island consists of three main volcanos, erupting at different times over it's history. The first volcano erupted about 3 million years ago, forming the top corner of the island, beyond Anakena beach. The second volcano was at Ranu Kau, where the giant crater with the lake inside is now, which emerged from the sea about 1 million years ago. And finally, Terevaka (the hill where we went horseriding) connecting the other two volcanos 300,000 years ago.
    The island is therefore very new, in geological terms, which explains the very coarse rock and the relatively scarce amount of fauna on it (some of which was introduced by humans).
    After visiting the museum, we grabbed lunch and then went for our final dive, at a spot called Manavai. The dive spot has a circular hole in the coral reef, resembling a Manavai (the protective holes where plants were grown by Rapa Nui people).
    The dive was great, and we saw lots of morays, trumpet fish, puffer fish and many other unidentified fishes. We enjoyed it and hoped it wouldn't be our last dive on this trip!
    Read more