Satellite
  • Day 24

    Jade and the jungle

    January 7, 2019 in Guatemala ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    A more relaxed morning. Charley wasn’t feeling great so we left her in bed while we had breakfast around the corner at the sister hotel.

    Another beautiful day. After breakfast we walked to the Jade museum where we were booked into a workshop to create a piece of jewellery from jade. It was so much fun - and quite challenging! We each began by choosing a piece of raw jade stone in a color we liked, and then had to use a cutting machine followed by 4 stages of sandpaper to smooth and polish our piece. We all made pendants - Mitch made a pick, Charley her Mayan star sign, Alex a teardrop and me a cylindrical pendant. We were all thrilled with the results - despite emerging with severely shaved nails and cuticles.

    Then lunch on Parque Central before heading back to the hotel to clear out of our rooms.

    One more hour before we got collected for the airport run and we chose to return to the central artisanal market (can never get enough of these!) as Alex hadn’t seen it. A quick visit then back to the hotel to collect backs and head to Guatemala City airport.

    Just a 45 minute flight and we arrived in the dark to Flores - in the middle of a jungle setting.

    It feels like we’ve been dropped onto another planet! Humid, quite with only the sounds of jungle nightlife, we are staying in simple tropical - style villas.
    Read more