Satellite
  • Day 42

    Undara Lava Tubes and Time to Chill

    September 30, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    So today Gadi got up early and went on a guided tour of the Undara Lava Tubes situated about a 45 minute drive away. The caves are on private property snd the only way to see them is by guided tour.

    The lava tubes are the remains of the world’s longest flow of lava originating from a single flow of lava. In the surrounding area there are 164 volcanoes, vents and cones. It is estimated that over 23 billion cubic meters of lava was released across the Atherton Tablelands approximately 189.000 years ago.

    Gadi said, while the tour wasn’t amazing, he still enjoyed walking through the rock formations and the surrounding tracks he did on his own around the attached resort/caravan park.

    Meanwhile, Cadbury and I stayed in our little oasis caravan park in Mount Surprise and got some washing done and sat outside chatting with our neighbours for a couple of hours. I also made a loaf of sourdough rye bread as we have run out of bread and the last couple of small towns have had none, probably due to school holidays and it being a long weekend.

    Late afternoon, after the heat of the day had dissapated, we sat outside with a glass of wine and I rolled out some dough and made pizzas, which we cooked in the Weber.

    Night fell quickly, settling in like a cosy blanket, as we sat eating outside, with lovely tropical foliage as our garden and a clear, twinkly sky above.

    Time to head indoors as I’ve just started getting bitten by midges. Until now we’ve had no issues with either mosquitoes or midges, but I think this run of good luck may be over!

    Night night xx
    Read more