Satellite
  • Day 23

    Sully sur Loire to Briare

    June 20, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    35 degrees forecast so a short day was planned. We got a good early start from the campsite. The bike route took us away from the Loire to Saint Florent. There was a bit of climbing but not too steep and generally through shady forests. After a nice descent back to the river we followed the south bank for a while. We decided to cross to Gien to have a look around and get some coffee and food.

    The roads in Gien were busy, and the combination of an impatient French truck driver and a bad decision by Tracey resulted in a minor gravity-related incident. This required a sit in the shade while Pat went to the Pharmacie for some large bandages and some spray-on antiseptic. Nothing damaged but skin and confidence.

    Our impression is that while French drivers are pretty good with cyclists, and certainly better than Australian drivers, they (especially the truck and van drivers) are perhaps not as good as other European countries we have toured in.

    After the fall and some first aid and shopping we had a pretty slow trip, and rode over the canal bridge (that's a canal on a bridge that crosses a river!) mid afternoon to our hotel in Briare. It was very hot and there was no aircon in the hotel. After a few drinks next to the canal, since it was too hot in the hotel dining room so we went for a walk and ended up having some nice cheap food in a kebab shop. At least that had a fan!
    Read more