Satellite
  • Day 47

    L'Alpe d'Huez!

    July 14, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    A cycling epic. Thanks to Eric & Karen for getting us all there. A fairly steep and relentless climb, but easier than Hotham. Tracey left about half an hour before Pat & Eric. Eric went flying past and then Pat caught Tracey at corner 9. They rode together to the top and joined Eric, who'd been patiently waiting, for lunch - omelettes and gallettes. The descent is relentless. There are no flats or slight uphills at all. Pat & Tracey stopped twice to allow our wheels and brakes to cool off (at the insistence of the nervous rider).
    Alpe D'Huez has 21 major hairpins, numbered 21 to 0 and each named in honour of a rider. Number 21 is at the bottom and it's great to count them down as you ride.
    The famous 21 bends of the road up to Alpe d’Huez provide one of the most challenging stages of the Tour de France. Over a distance of 14km, cyclists climb 3670ft - 1119 metres, on an average 8.1% incline. Each day in the summer an average of 1000 cyclists climb the 21 bends.
    After a rest, we all wandered into town. Eric purchased a commemorative jersey and the rest of us picked up various mementoes, including extremely tasty ice creams- choc, pistache, marron, yum!
    Back to camp for a celebratory dinner.
    Read more