Satellite
  • Day 41

    An artsy day

    February 17, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Today I visited the Art Gallery which is free. They had a special display of indigenous artwork, all of which was created with dots of paint. It looked like it would be very painstaking and monotonous. The most interesting display was submissions by Australian high school students. Some of the artwork was very creative and made me think of Veronica.

    After that I visited the State Library. It filled a whole city block. There was also one gallery floor here as well but some of the exhibits were closed for the day. The building was impressive.

    I hit rush hour on my way home and was swarmed by hundreds of office workers rushing to the underground stations to find their way home. The downtown areas in AU and NZ are referred to as the CBD, Central Business District. In addition to the office towers there are restaurants, shops and more shops, the majority being expensive designer stores. Some of the larger stores have several floors which extend two stories underground. The supermarket I went to was also two stories underground. The tunnels to the underground trains are lined with shops and restaurants and I was told the whole CBD is a series of tunnels. One thing I noticed was that the escalators, like the roadways, are opposite to ours with the down escalator on the left. When I cross the streets I’m frantically looking in all directions!
    Read more