Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 173

    Daintree Rainforest

    January 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    The last trip I had planned while being in Cairns was a tour through the Daintree Rainforest Nationalpark. I got picked up at 6:55am and we drove from Cairns to Port Douglas first to pick up all the others. We finally made our way along side the Great Barrier Reef into the Daintree Rainforest. We went to different lookouts and did a rainforest walk where we even got to see a cassowary. (They are flightless birds, can get up to 2m tall and are the deadliest birds alive).
    We went all the way up to Cape Tribulation where we had lunch and went for a stroll along the beach (warning sings about crocodiles are everywhere). Swimming in any river or the ocean up here is deadly because of the saltwater crocodiles and the poisonous jellyfishes.
    Our tour guide kept making jokes about Germans because apart from Australians Germans are the ones who get eaten by crocodiles the most.
    Which was why he suggested to put me into the water while we were on a boat cruise on the river looking for crocodiles.
    We eventually saw crocodiles without me getting wet.
    They were mostly swimming in the river because of the high tide, so the only picture I got was of a baby crocodile lying on a muddy river bank.
    We also saw the large fruit bats and the pythons that eat the bats.
    On our way back through the Rainforest we stopped to grab some icecream. 💕
    They grow all their ingredients for the icecream in the rainforest and we got four different flavours.
    The flavours were Macadamia Nut (the only one I had tasted before), roasted Wattleseed (Australia's national plant), Davidson Plum (it's like a jungle plum) and Black Sapote (also called chocolate pudding fruit).
    I liked all of them 💕. Macadamia Nut was my favourite though, Wattleseeds tasted kind of like coffe and hazelnut, Black Sapote like chocolate pudding (hence the name) and Davidson plum was kind of tangy but also sweet and fruity (and it had the best colour).
    We ended the tour with a last stop at the Mossman Gorge which is a beautiful waterfall but unfortunately it was raining by the time we got there. But oh well what would the rainforest be without a little rain. 💕
    Read more