Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Roncesvalles to Zubiri

    September 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    After a fun pilgrim dinner last night with copious spanish wine and feeling very pleased with ourselves to have day 1 under our belt, we were up early for our pilgrim breakfast. As someone who loves muesli yoghurt and fruit in the morning it's a bit hard to adjust to big chunks of bread, croissants and ham and cheese. The coffee is pretty good though.
    We walked 21 km today and was not nearly as tough as yesterday. We walked through countryside with cows horses and even a couple of donkeys. We passed the hotel where Earnest Hemmingway stayed probably writing his morbid book on the Spanish Civil War! It's fun to walk through little villages all offering food and drinks to the pilgrims. We all felt our calf muscles today and although we walked through pretty beech and pine forests the descent into Zubiri was pretty slippery on grey slatey rock. Thankgoodness we have poles as I surely would have been a over k.
    As I write this I can hear cow bells ringing in the distance and a little stream flowing outside our window. For $60.00 per couple we have just had a 3 course meal and a bottle of red wine so we at the late time of 8 pm are heading to bed. We continue to meet interesting people as we walk along and talk for awhile then they or we move on. It's never boring!
    Tomorrow we walk to Pamplona.
    Buenos noches
    Read more