Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Zubiri to Pamplona

    September 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    So I awoke to this morning with my dearly beloved slapping himself and hearing the words of " take this you fkn bastards! I thought oh dear this is a very aggressive way to start a new day on the Camino but it turned our he had been attacked by the Zubiri mossies all night and had had the worst night ever with no sleep. Anyway we started our walk in the semi dark and climbed out of Zubiri with bells ringing , horses grazing and the Arga river running beside us. We could have been walking up the Hinemaia river.
    However it's day 3 and our bodies were starting to feel a little weary. I got my first blister at the base of a toenail but my fellow pilgrims were doing OK. Main problem was tight calf muscles
    Anyway the walk of 21 km proceeded in pretty warm conditions. We walked 5 km before we had breakfast and the hard case cafe owner wanted to know when he heard we were kiwis how the ABs were going...this is in Spain! We then met a German couple whose son didn't suit the "" German schooling "so sent him off to Otaki college in NZ. He loved meeting us, especially when we said we had a house at Waikanae.
    So on and on we walked the 21 km but it seemed a long way walking into Pamplona especially going through the poorer areas but then the old walls of Pamplona appeared and we walked through into the buzzy old city part and was amazing. It's Saturday night here and the town is humming. Have had an amazing meal of tapas in a bar hanging with parma hams.
    We will certainly sleep well tonight and thankfully have a rest day tomorrow.
    Read more