Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Bercianos to Mansilla

    October 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We awoke in surprisingly good health after a night of birthday celebrations for our Dutch friend Toon.
    Jane and I actually had to return a bottle of vino back to the bar as there was no way we were going to drink it. We did laugh as our friendly bar man who just put a cork in it and put it back on the shelf!
    We were all in good spirits as we set off an a 27km walk in yet another dark cool morning. The moon is dwindling in size so the mornings seem darker and of course the days are getting shorter.
    Today's walk was long and a tad tedious but the endless views of ploughed red dirt and dying sun flowers have some charm. We now can see the hills and mountains of Galicia and in the distance we could see Leon where we will be tomorrow.
    There were the usual chats and laughs along the way but sadly Lee realised he had left his beloved hat behind. He was very fond of his hat but Brian had a cap he could lend so on we marched.
    Coffee and a very filling breakfast came at about 10 km . A great big potato pancake/ omelet filled with ham and cheese. That certainly revived us for a long walk until the next stop 12 km away. Luckily there were beautiful plane trees and oaks to shade us partially and nice rest areas. The trees are starting to turn.
    Podcasts music and books though were definitely the order for the latter half of the day.
    Another stop in a tiny village for coffee's and then the last killer five to crack on with.
    It's always such relief when the town of your destination comes into view and then collapsing into the cool oasis of the hotel lobby.
    After booking in we went next door to a wonderful garden bar enjoying bread chorizo and cheese washed down with cold beers.
    Another day ticked off. Our 19th day of walking and 21st day on the trail.
    In the garden bar were a group of Spanish men having wine bread and cheese like us. We were not sure if they were Pilgrim or locals but they started singing Spanish folk songs to which Brian and Lee responded with Pokarekareana which they loved.
    Then it was siesta time.
    Apparently we walked today on the longest Roman road in Spain and we followed in the footsteps of Emporor Augustus!
    Mansilla is yet to be explored but has a medieval look and is like the Feilding of NZ , known for its livestock market.
    Wifi is dodgy here but hope I can put on the musical videos.
    Tomorrow we head to Leon and will be meet up with some of the Irish family and then brother Bill arrives. Happy days
    Read more