Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Mansilla to Leon

    October 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We are now in beautiful Leon and it seems such a change from the sleepy towns we have been in on the Meseta and we are enjoying the atmosphere.
    We had breakfast this morning in a cafe in Mansilla with quite an eclectic group of locals. It was amusing to see a group of men having some liqueur with their coffee , and then a tiny elderly woman come in and have a glass of beer. This was all before 8am!
    Last night we has a great walk around the old roman walls of Mansilla glowing the evening sun. We had a good pilgrim meal and slept well in the quiet town.
    I fear not a quiet night here as there is a festival on and we are right in the middle of town by the stunning gothic Cathedral which is a total standout with beautiful stained glass windows .After arriving in Leon and enjoying strolling through the twisting streets we had
    coffee in the main square and then a self guided tour through the Cathedral.
    The shops are very chic as is the architecture. Late lunch in the sun and a tour on a tourist tram around the main spots of Leon.
    It was so nice not to walk and could have sat on the tram all afternoon!
    Now it's siesta time and we are very much looking forward to meeting Vanessa Fiona Connor and Tim who have traveled all the way from Dublin to see us. Fun times ahead. We realise the All Blacks play tonight but I don't think many people in Leon will be watching!
    As I write this there is womans wrestling in the square! Brian of course has been down to have a look.
    Read more