Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga

    October 8, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    What a difference a day makes!
    After yesterday's boring slog, today was a different walk entirely.
    The wonderful man at our hotel provided us with a simple breakfast ( usual croissant but heated!) Coffee and orange juice and off we set again to a beautiful morning. With the sun rising behind us the light was warm and almost casting a reddish hue. All the fatigue of yesterday's walk forgotten. As we were leaving a hard case Irish woman asked us if we were shaking in our boots referring to the big win Ireland had over Scotland. We replied cheekily that we were not a bit worried!
    A German girl from Berlin walked with us for awhile and everyone in good spirits. We saw livestock for the first time in a while and even cows that had been milked and goats and a few cattle. One village we passed through had a group. of men and their beagles getting ready for a pig hunt . We were just pleased it wasn't something out of Hunger Games! Lee in his orange top would have been a target!
    The country was undulating hills and had some lovely shade at times from groves of holm oaks and other vegetation. The villages we passed through seemed more affluent then the dire ones of yesterday and the odd new house had been built and even some rose gardens.
    We had coffee in a plain cafe after about 15 km and soaked up the Sunday morning atmosphere with locals enjoying the cafe culture. In the middle of nowhere there was a stall of food and coffee and for a donation we could help ourselves. The lovely German girl running it was shelling chestnuts and then going to make praline. She had a gorgeous big mastiff dog who had to be tied up as he would follow pilgrims to Astorga. The girl had a slight bohemian persona and was going to stay all winter there in a caravan. Apparently it gets downto -10 in winter.
    Today was 28 C.
    On we walked and the day was getting hotter but far in the distance we could see the city of Astorga with the Cathedral standing out against the blue sky.
    After a bit of a hot walk through the pavements of Astorga we came to Wendy's hotel and 3 gorgeous woman were there to greet us. The reception lady used Google translate to give us all the info and couldn't have been more helpful even finding a bed for Bill tomorrow night in Foncebadon. The rooms are great and we even have a sofa, a rare luxury. When we told them we didn't want
    breakfast in the morning as we wanted to get away early, the ladies were most upset so talked us into staying for that.
    Then it was down to the square near the cathedral and it was buzzing with all the locals out in their finery enjoying long lunches.
    There is a big Gaudi influence here and of course the magnificent Cathedral which dates from the 15th century. We have yet to visit the cathedral as the pull of beers rose and food overtook us.
    So now it is rest time and we will venture out in the early evening to explore this pretty city.
    We also need to attempt to vote but proving harder then we thought.
    Love all your messages and support and it seems a long time for you to be following this adventure. We are still laughing though and enjoying the slow pace of life where all you are worrying about is the path ahead of you. 262 km to go and have walked 528 km.
    Buen camino
    Read more