Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 41

    Triacastela to Sarria

    14. oktober 2023, Spanien ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we set off in good spirits knowing we only had 18 km to walk, probably our shortest walking day yet. It was a cool dark morning but had had our coffees , toast and orange juice to set us up up for the day. The weather today was perfect for walking, sunny but not too hot.
    Lots of up hills and down dale today with more beautiful valleys of oaks and chestnuts only just turning colour. Again it was a very rural walk with walking along paths laden with cow pats to guide us on our way!
    After an hour or so we had to stop and check on the election result . We sat in a very "agricultural" spot to see that National had positioned themselves to be the new government and was happy to see that Winston ( hopefully) will not be the kingmaker.
    Had our morning coffee in a great cafe where the cows were coming past to graze after milking. On we walked through a couple of small villages on a lazy Saturday morning. Firewood was being collected for winter and tractors carting hay. The wonderful thing on this walk is that you feel you are looking at Spanish life through the back doors! Nothing is prettied up and we just see life as it is here.
    By 1 pm we had walked into Sarria which is not a particularly pretty town and we had a steep street to climb to get to our Hostel. Sarria is a very busy Camino town as many people who don't have time to walk the whole Camino will start here as it's 100 km to Santiago.
    After a long lunch ..calamari starter, loin of pork and chips, tinned pineapple and vino blanco we returned to our Hostel with one thing on our mind...where were we going to watch the rugby! Well we struck the jack pot. The dear man who runs the hostal called in his son and actually found the chanel that the rugby was on. We couldn't believe our luck as no where on this Camino have we had a TV with the sports chanel that plays rugby. It's all football. We feel this stroke of luck is a good omen for our All Blacks. Our Welsh man Guy may join us and one lone Irish man may also ,but is not sure he could cope with watching with 4 kiwis.
    So here we sit with our olives, pastrami, and fresh bread watching Wales v Argentina, Lee has not long brought the laundry back and we have totally taken over the lounge of our hostel. Domestic bliss.
    Kia Kaha All Blacks and am sure it's going to be a great game!
    Læs mere