Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Sarria to Portomarin

    October 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    So we went to bed last night very happy kiwis and woke up this morning very happy tired kiwis but what a game last night!
    Off we set in the dark and probably just as well as we had a steep long climb out of Sarria. On and on we climbed and stopped for breakfast about 6 km along the way. Decidedly needed.
    It started off misty in the morning and then the steady drizzle set in but the walk was so pretty with all the huge ancient oaks and chestnuts forming canopys along the way.
    I seem to take lots of photos of happy cows but it all looks so peaceful apart from the rural smells at times!
    The walk has changes somewhat in that there are heaps more walkers and gone is the peace of the Meseta but it's at times like a walkathon. Many have only just started so we feel a tad smug that we have come so far.
    On we walked for 24 km and never did the rain stop but almost preferable to searing heat.
    We celebrated our arrival into Portomarin by a delicious late lunch at an Italian restaurant .
    The descent into Portomarin was quite a challenge walling down a steep rocky hillside. Twice I landed on my backside but luckily I landed " lightly" Our shoes are getting a bit worn.
    The team of 8 ( feet) are also getting a bit worn and my left foot is certainly a foot only a mother could love! Calloused, 2 missing toenails and a small blister. It could be letting the team down! We still lie puttour feet up against the wall after every walk.
    We passed a rather insignificant marker to say only 100 km to go.
    Staying in a very modern hostel and have just returned from one of the best meals yet on the Camino. Waldorf salad , stuffed chicken breast and home made apple cake with not a chip in sight, plus the friendliest waiter.
    We will sleep well
    Read more