Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Arzua to Pedrouzo

    October 17, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    Can not believe we only have one more day of walking on the Camino Frances and under 20 km left to go.
    We started off this morning in the pouring rain and quite a bit of wind so not ideal walking conditions but us hardy souls knew the show must go on. It quite dark at 8 am now so we don't want to leave too early and we are not dealing with the heat of the Meseta
    The paths are becoming increasingly crowded with pilgrims but we can not complain as we are part of the crowd! Although there are at times too many in the cafes there is also a festive vibe now. I think we all know the end is near and the challenge of the 780 km walk has almost been achieved.
    Luckily Brian's spider bite did not get worse overnight and armed with panadol and a good antihistamine cream he managed the 20 km walk.
    The day did improve and was again very pretty and very rural. I must say when we are walking in forests of gum trees and the wind is fierce I am very happy to move along quickly.
    We had the most delicious lunch today. The boys had hamburgers which they declared the best they had eaten. I had a delicious blue cheese tomato salad. This area is famous for the soft cheeses they make plus their octopus dishes.
    Pedrouza doesn't look to be the most exciting town and our window is looking out to cows!
    Shoes are holding out just and with the rain and a bit of mud they are not overly waterproof.
    We still continue to meet different interesting people every day and re meet up with others. Lee went up to 3 Sth African walkers and quietly stated that the All Blacks will beat SA in the final! This created great shrieks of protests and laughs.
    Today there was a group of about 6 blind people all with guides walking on the track. There seems to be a great army of volunteers who support the disabled on the Camino.
    The wind is blowing outside but the Spanish wine, octopus, and cheeses are waiting for us!
    Buen Camino.
    Read more