Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Palas de Rei to Arzua

    October 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Last night we had a very Galician meal at a quaint pub. Squid with baby octopus which is a traditional dish here. It was all totally delicious. Jane Brian and Lee had had an earlier session with an Irish psychiatrist who informed them that the Galicea people identify more with being celts then spanish. He has walked the Camino 5 times so guess he a bit of an expert. 3 lively Scottish colleens walked in while having dinner and had got stuck in a pub and had yet to book into their hostel but were full of fun. Not sure how their walking panned out today.
    After a standard breakfast we set off in the dark as had a 29 km walk ahead. Unfortunately Brian yesterday had been bitten by a ? Spider and had a red lump but overnight had grown. Nurse Emmanuel Sarah and Jane decided care needed to be taken. At morning tea break the redness had increased.
    On we walked through pretty lush countryside with amazing groves of trees , streams and old bridges.
    Finally we got to a biggish town called Melide and luckily Jane remembered a great place she and Suzie had had lunch at 4 years ago. The lunch was stunning and our Kenyam friend Rose joined us ( with her voodoo stick) Photos of menu below)
    Lots of up hills continued and after about 19 km.Brian said his leg was really sore . Luckily beside a great location with a food truck and they ordered a taxi. Was I worried about not walking the final 10 km ,not a bit! The rain was coming.down and best Brian get his leg up.
    So here we are in Arzua, a plain little town but staying in a wonderful hotel run by a stunningly beautiful young lady. We have ended up at the local pub and had delicious lasagne and pizzas. We caught up with some of the young and one.we have walked with from the beginning that we had named Jesus. Guess which one he is. As only the young can do after numerous beers they are walking.on another 10 km in the rain!
    Such a great spirit though with young and old. We will certainly miss this wonderful team spirit of so many nationalities all sharing the same experiences
    Shout out to Jane and Lee who walked the whole 29 km today and in the pouring rain for last 2 hours. Lee last seen in the laundromat!
    2 more days
    Read more