Satellite
  • Day 58

    Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt. Coot-tha

    November 1, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today Trev asked whether I would like to go up to the Botanic Gardens as we didn't have time when we came up last time to the look out. The Brisbane Botanic Gardens are recognised as Queensland's premier subtropical botanic gardens, displaying distinctly different gardens arranged in thematic and geographical displays. The themed sections include a fragrant garden, bamboo grove, arid zone, Japanese Gardens, waterfalls, 'Kitchen in the Garden', tropical dome and the largest collection of Australian native rainforest trees in the world. the Japanese Garden was designed by one of Japan's leading landscape architects, the late Kenzo Ogata, the theme of the garden is ‘tsuki-yama-chisen’ or 'mountain-pond-stream'. It features the key elements of stone, water, paths and vegetation.
    The path follows an S-shape curve. As you approach one vegetation area, the view of the next section is hidden. This adds an element of mystery or surprise for visitors.
    A warning is given about being careful and on the lookout for spiders and snakes!
    It is a beautiful area and we spent a couple of hours or more wandering around with a vague plan but occasionally, just going where the signs pointed - we could have spent a lot longer and still wouldn't have seen everything! Sarah intends to go back and visit the planetarium next time.
    Read more