Satellite
  • Day 10

    Coonawarra here we come

    January 1, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    We were both tired this morning as we had finally walked back to the camp around 1am and our sleep had been pretty broken with fireworks being let off through the night. We were both still full from our Mexican the night before so it was a simple cup of tea and coffee before we packed up the van.

    We drove south to Strathalbyn just an hour south of Adelaide. It is a very pretty old town that could easily have been in England. It felt very like a Midsomer Murders village and we kept looking for Barnaby the detective or a village fete.

    We had a wander around and then met my cousin Megan and her family for lunch. They are also caravanning around SA but this was the only chance to catch up with them as we are circling the state in different directions. We had a lovely lunch and was fun to hear about their camping stories. They are heading to Kangaroo island tomorrow.

    We finally left just after 2pm and decided to take the ferry at Wellington rather than driving via Murray Bridge. It was very busy but luckily we didn't have to wait long on our side. It was another 3 hours from there and we had a quick stop at the amazing painted silos at Coonalpyn and some food at Naracoorte. Penola camp ground is pretty tiny and only a handle of campers. There is a large poplar hedge behind our van so that will bring back memories of Woodend Beach camp for me and Alexandra holiday park for Regan.
    Read more