Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Lakes Entrance to Eden

    December 26, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We had heavy drizzle in the morning so got a bit damp packing up. We had expected heavy traffic but it was not too bad and with all Australian roads there were regular passing bays. You know it is holidays as multiple cars passed packed to the hilt and multiple bikes bouncing along at the back.

    We stopped at Orbost the last real town before the border, I would suspect it has a population of a few thousand. We walked the Main Street and I had a lovely time browsing a craft collective market. I bought a pretty shoulder bag and onion jam which was delicious in our lunch sandwiches.

    We then pushed on for a hundred kms to get the majority of the driving done. The road was mainly through state forests so very green but quite bumpy. Lunch was at a tiny spot called Genoa, the campers and tourists out numbered any local residents by about 40 to one (local pop estimated at 5). They had saved a lovely Central Otago summers we love.

    Arrived in Eden around 3:30 and I was so excited to see we are right across the road from the beach. Was very warm setting up but we are getting it down to a fine art now, less than 30 mins. We are on an unpowered site so will be testing the solar power and all out set up throughly. Quick trip into town to pick up some supplies including cold cider and back for drinks and nibbles. Simple BBQ dinner and camp walk before dinner.

    Amazing sunset, a little sad that the pink skies are due to the fires but it does make for a spectacular view.
    Read more