Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Tumut to Junee

    December 31, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 37 °C

    A shorter drive today. Only 100km. Had an early walk into Tumut town before breakfast and before the temperature climbed into the 30’s.
    One of the motels had multiple fire trucks parked outside. A reminder that there is a large bushfire 30 km away. 54000 hectares and still out of control. Luckily we are upwind from it so quite safe.

    Stopped off at Gundagai which is a village that has been bypassed by the main Sydney to Melbourne highway. Some really old bridges there from the railway era. The heat was intense but we managed to walk the main street for coffees and a local craft shop.Headed to June on a back road with hardly any traffic which gave Julie the perfect opportunity to drive with 2.5 tonne of caravan. Temperatures were in mid 30’s so a leisurely trip was very uneventful.

    Junee is a railway town and we got there and had to wait at the railway crossing for the Sydney to Melbourne train. We normally see this at our place in Footscray as it passes by to deliver its load to Melbourne.After setting up at the campground and a swim we headed to the supermarket for supplies and a quick drive around town. Not like us to drive but at 36 degrees it’s a safer option.

    The news here is all about the bushfires and a few tragic deaths also. We were sad to see the historic Genoa bridge which we were at a few days ago has succumbed to a fire. Pics included of us there and the latest photo taken earlier today. A quiet New Year for us before we head south to Wagga Wagga tomorrow . Another swim before dark.

    Happy New Year everyone. Where did that decade disappear!
    Read more