Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Day 12 - 2 sleeps til freedom

    October 7, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Another one of those days where we feel like we shouldn't be here. We are ready to leave. If we thought there was a chance to sweet-talk the officials to set us free we would have attempted it. But we will be around for less than 48 hours now so we are on the homeward stretch.

    Same routine, walk before breakfast for 10 minutes, food delivered, then work. We both attended meetings while walking today. Great for the step count and added to the total nicely. Our exercise on the rooftop was a bit shorter due to a storm. We like fresh air but not desperate enough to get wet.
    Our food today was impressive. Massaman curry for lunch and beef cheek for dinner. No complaints from Room 613. On the walking terrace are the exhausts for the kitchens. Today we enjoyed the beef cheeks being cooked while we were on the roof exercising. Impressive aroma.

    We were warned that there was a new planeload of inmates arriving in the evening so the lobby area is closed to all while they are processed. Straight after dinner
    we went downstairs for air before closure. Not long after we arrived another guest came out to the smokers area. Soon after that the army guy in charge of the hotel came out and isolated him from the rest of the people including us and had some very terse words.

    It appears the guy is in complete isolation due to either a positive test or symptoms and had been confined to his room. He chose to ignore the direction and went and had a smoke. From then on he had an army guy near him while the lifts were deep cleaned. He was not popular. We watched the well oiled isolation management machine in action as they isolated him, cleaned, and told him in straight words the trouble and risk he has caused.

    We of course stayed well away and waited for the lifts to be cleaned. And once in the lift we tried to hold our breath, touch nothing and thorough washing when we got back to our room including binning our masks. We had earlier had some banter with one of the security guys who was asking us how long we had to go then made the wise crack that the rules had changed and we had to stay an extra 5 days. Even with his mask on his smiling eyes gave the joke away. Contact like that is common. It's all very relaxed but with firm rules for us to adhere to. As we saw tonight, if you break the rules you are subjected to a pretty serious talking to. We are unsure what the next steps will be for that guy.
    Read more