Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 32

    Mataranka

    28 juillet 2021, Australie ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Left Dunmarra early for a small 200km drive north. Temperature increased. We could tell the humidity was out there as there was a haze. We stopped at an old WW2 hospital site. The air had a tropical smell to it. The hospital site has fallen back to regenerated bush so there was no sign of it being there. We passed 2 more WW2 airstrips as well. Looks like nature has reclaimed them. As we travel we will learn more about the war history up this way as Darwin was bombed by the Japanese so a lot of infrastructure was set up inland.

    We tried to book a site at Bitter Springs campground but was told to be there early as its first in. So we were waiting in a small queue at 10.20am and have a site for 2 nights. Shaded woodland camp near the Springs. Thanks again to Annette and Shane for the recommendation.
    As we arrived there was chatter on the UHF radio talking about a "handbag" having been located at the springs. Turns out the Springs are now closed due to a crocodile wanting to bathe there. The guy at the camp says it was just a smaller one (about 6 foot). What! 6 foot is about 5 feet too big for me. And this is where we discuss the difference between "freshies" and "salties". This was a chat to us wide-eyed kiwis at the Bash a few weeks back. Apparently "freshies" are not partial to eating people. Honestly....... if I saw any croc I wouldn’t be dipping my toes.
    Anyway the rangers are down at the Springs with a trap to hopefully catch and re-house.

    As the local springs are closed we travelled to Mataranka Springs and had a dip there with a hundred others. All very safe. Maybe like a sushi train for a croc! The water was very warm so we stayed in for around 45 minutes then did a walk on a 2.4km return track. Temperature hit 34 by then so any thought of feeling refreshed after that was slim.

    Back to the caravan for a well deserved beer and cider, then showers in the "rustic" ablutions. I shared my shower with a frog and Julie is looking forward to tomorrow's shower in the caravan.
    En savoir plus