Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Early bird catches the…

    February 20, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Nothing. The early bird catches nothing at 4am in London, except views of a very dark sky. But thanks to plane rot, that’s when our day started! Plans for the Abbey were put on hold as we heard the changing of the guard was happening at King Charlie’s place today. Off we trotted and join the cast of thousands at Buckinghuge palace, where we saw many men in ‘hilarious big hats’ (Olive) play some classic brass band tunes such as a ‘spoon full of sugar’ and ‘downtown’. Alas, Charlie was not lured by their unorthodox charm to give us a wave from the window. The girls seemed a little confused by the whole proceeding (aren’t we all…), but had fun being near the palace and a great atmosphere.
    After a quick lunch we headed to a shop (Hamley’s) declaring itself to be the best toy shop on the world. 7 stories of toys. SEVEN. Including a dungeon like Harry Potter section (me, pretending to be there for the kids), and a host of workers demonstrating highly over priced but extremely child luring toys (think Costco demonstrations, but with a lot more yelling and squealing). Suffice to say the girls had a BALL, and we felt like we were hit by a bus (full of toys) by the end.
    We explored Soho, Piccadilly Circus and Leicester square (loved so much about these quirky little streets, BEAUTIFUL buildings and sheik Londoners dressed in tailored clothing).
    Finished the day with a very culturally significant landmark; The M&M shop- including the worlds biggest wall of chocolate. You could even have your face printed on M&Ms (Kay- Nick and I thought his face on a bag of m&ms would be a great present for you 😉)
    The watch says nearly 25000 steps, and the girls have passed out (hopefully for the night).
    Hope tomorrow brings more adventures!
    Read more