Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Kings and Queens

    February 21, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    4:45am wake up. Slightly better than yesterday… 🥴. Today was a BIG day. We started at Westminster Abbey. Over 3 hours later we walked out of there, more richer in knowledge and humbler in life. It really was inspiring to be in the same space as so many people who have changed the course of the world over the years. Thinkers and leaders, adventurers and poets, and importantly, the scientists recognised for their contributions to humanity. All in a big melting pot of amazing architecture, fascinating history and those who have inspired the world. The girls actually really enjoyed it and learnt a bucketload (Audrey learnt Roman numerals today… teachers will be happy some work is being done 😉) . I actually got a bit emotional showing the girls The resting place of Isaac Newton. The thought of sharing a space with a mind so significant in history and being able to share that with the girls (My dad gifted one of his treasured science books to the girls last year, with Newton being their favourite) was pretty special. I think the girls got to see a bigger picture of the world today; and how individuals can impact the world. Highly recommend- 10/10, 5 ⭐️!!
    With all that learning, the girls were STARVING (🙄) so we headed to the Borough markets. Ah-mazing place to feast your eyes (and your bellies) on food and produce from local sellers. Total hit. We ate too much (not really… Nicks legs are hollow) and had a fabulous time roaming through the markets. Olive found her happy place (cheese corner of the markets) and her dimples got her waaaay more samples than a 7 year old really needs.
    A stroll back along the Thames towards home, spotting some famous bridges (London bridge= super underwhelming; the millennial bridge way more appealing due to its presence in a Harry Potter film 😜).
    Past Shakespeare’s theatre, along to the bottom of the eye near our hotel. London is very quirky, which we didn’t anticipate- the girls joined in a random dance party on the bank of the Thames, after a ride on the worlds most speediest merry go round (it was like the guy operating it had fiddled with the controls and put it on the ‘make kids hurl’ setting. I suppose it must be a pretty tiresome job… good to shake things up a bit 😉
    Big day. Lots of learning, lots of eating, lots of random dancing in the park! Will
    Post more pics on another footprint.
    Read more