Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Stewart Island an expensive day trip

    December 18, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    I decided we should take a day trip to Stewart Island, one hour ferry ride $400 return for two. When we got there it was obvious that a little more homework on this place would have been useful. It would seem that most people come to Stewart Island in order to get to another island Ulva, to see a wide variety of wildlife. Our boat trip will stop there so there was not much pointing us spending money to get there.

    It's a large island 40ks in any direction. Coffee and cake fortified us for a walk. After an hour or so it was apparent that we had seen what we could on foot unless we wanted to take a 30+ kms hike (sorry tramp). Next option pay $100 for four hour car hire. We had 3 hours before the return ferry so we hired a car.

    It is a pretty place but windy and overcast for most of the day. Three layers were definitely necessary. It was worth hiring the car as we got to see some of the beaches that, although those more intrepid than us walked to, we would not otherwise have seen. Not much by way of bird life apart from gulls. Apparently the kiwi population outnumber the human kiwis on the island but they are shy birds so no sightings.

    The lady in the fish shop told us that today she would be open and she had fresh blue cod coming in. This was our dinner plan, bottle of pinot and blue cod, fish and chips. Alas she is not open and nothing is open in Bluff the other modest looking hotel and restaurant can't find a chef so no go there. Apart from sandwiches, our only real option is a 20 minute drive north to Invercargill to find a pub. We are very confident something there will be one open.

    The research suggested The Southern Tavern was a good place to eat. Not quite. Bob's of the day was ham, my fresh cod was excellent but the chips not so fresh. Keeping up the Pinot tasting. This one cost just $10 for a large glass, better than the $13 one not as good as the others. The bottle of Toi Toi I bought is very nice.
    Read more