Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17–19

    My birthday and Hunanui river

    November 17, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    Well it was my 69th birthday. Booked a first table at the fine dinning restaurant in the arts centre in Christchurch which turned out to be owned by Chillingworth St restaurant where we have been before. Food is first class. The waiter was lovely and brought me a birthday cake at the end of the meal. Then onto One Shot owned by Two Thumbs a company we have shares in. A different sort of bar you can play computer games as you enjoy a drink or meal. First time I I have played Mario. Came twelve out of twelve for the first ten or so racers then Mike explained a few things and came sixth on the next race. Delighted!!! Could be quite addictive though!!
    On Saturday we went back to the place we spent our first night ever in our camper van. A place next to the Hurunui river where someone has created a garden. That was after having lunch on Amberley beach. Steve was going to fish but it was just too windy. Then onto the river where we did some off-roading. Got stuck twice but Mikes van has a winch so was able to use convenient trees to haul us out. I was a complete coward and jumped out when the water came in over the sills. Waded for dry ground. Great fun though! Campfire at night on the side of the Hurunui river, no one else there.
    Tried surf fishing the next day but no luck.
    Read more