Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Cromwell and back to Twizel

    December 3, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Arrived in Cromwell, you can guess what the area is famous for. Our intention was to do some of the excellent cycle tracks but they turned out to be mainly linear. Ideal for electric bikes but too far for us. So we did one of them for a way down the side of Lake Dunstan. Nineteen miles in total, beautiful but very twisty and up and down. We camped a few nights at the Recreational reserve Bannockburn. The Saltire flag was flying outside the old grocery shop.
    The names of places in this area reflects the population who settled here examples being, Ettrick, Criffel peak, Mt Cardrona, Dumbarton, Kelso, etc, etc.
    Decided to go back north to Twizel but first a visit to Clyde, a lovely little village/town at the end of Lake Dunstan. Spectacular scenery we could see the cycle route on the opposite side of the lake cut out of rock in places.
    A long day so we stopped at The Lindis Pass Hotel DOC site again.
    Spent a few more days around Twizel with another night at the Combined Services Club. Did really well on one of the quick raffles with number eight coming up three times in the same draw.😀
    More attempts to catch that elusive fish, with no luck.
    Visited Lake Ohau DOC site next to Middleton Lake. Loved it here but the challenge of catching a fish lured us back to Poaka DOC for a few more nights.
    Read more