Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Onwards to Wanaka to Greymouth

    December 17, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Onwards towards our Christmas destination. Stopped at Wanaka for a few nights. Very beautiful area. First night was at Luggate Cricket Club POP which was great we could sit by the van and watch the match. Could have been anywhere in England on a Saturday afternoon. Only difference was the sandflies.
    Took the opportunity to climb up to Diamond Lake but never made it to the top as both of us felt unwell. Whether we climbed too quickly or what it was we don’t know but rested for a while and then decended.
    Next day we drove down the length of lake Wanaka and through the stunning Haast pass to reach the West Coast.
    The plan was to spend a night at Jackson Bay but as we hit the west coast the weather changed to heavy rain so we spent the night at the excellent motor lodge at Haast. Not before we had fish and chips at the Craypot Cafe , Jackson Bay. Very expensive and just ok but then it was at the end of long dead end road, no passing trade. Also dry enough to walk the track to Ocean bay. It had the most unusual collection of rocks on this beach including a rock that looked like a dinosaur s head.
    Onward the next day, we were in for a very long days driving. We stopped for a break at Whataroa with its brilliant Christmas tree and Ross a gold mining town with a great trail through the old mine workings and an impressive Chinese garden, a memorial to the Chinese gold miners that settled here,. The pub here was something to behold. Straight out of a cowdy set with old piano and noisy crowd, unfortunately no photo. A place to return to as lots to see. .
    Stopped a night at Greymouth to do our Christmas shopping..
    Read more