Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Meeting in Shintuya community

    December 4, 2023 in Peru ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    Meeting with the Shintuya communty, where 72 families live. They still speak there native language, Harakbut.

    Man in the picture: "We have a connection with nature, as well as our ancestors. We don't want globalisation to cause us to loose this connection. The forest is our future and that of our children." "The work with the women has given a separate income to our community" "Dankje" (he said in Dutch, because we were talking amout our languages before)

    Woman in the picture (Marietta): "Thank you for visiting us, I'm part of the women group that does reforestation. Now I'm asking support for maintenance. To clean up the planted trees. I would like to ask for more support with projects'

    Germán: We have had reforestation projects before, but they left us behind. I would like to highlight the need for support We have a lot of técnicos here, and a lot of seeds. We have the technical capacity and human resources to have a vivero comunal. This way chihuahuaco, planta sagrada. En la ley peruana en peligro de extinction. We need support for the maintenance too, I would . It's not only the air, also the flowers, plants and animals that arrives with reforestation. We can restore the sides of the road with important local species.

    Rodolpho de DRIS: "the previous projects didn't succeed because they didn't put enough effort in maintenance. The maintenance of the plants needs to be renumerated too. And the maintenance"

    Older member: "As an older member of the community, I have seen the support of DRIS, and I applaud this support. A lot of years ago this com unity cut down trees without any plan for reforesting. There was no conscience of reforesting. It was the young people who started to be conscient about the importace of reforestation.
    We have always been connected with nature. Considering the maintenance is very important. On the other hand I thank the support of BOS+, separately from the plants given, the project has given income to our community. The economy in this community is not enough. I suggest that they keep supporting so there is more time for us. Tapir and other animals are present in our forest. The edible species of the forest can help for human consumption,but also for feeding the animals of our forest. We have 12 ha of Tornillo, we have maintained it with some support from DRIS, but more maintenance is needed. In our community there is a lot of anemia. We know this affects the possibility of our children to learn in school."

    Last guy, Javier: Is there family support or only communal? I have 1ha reforested, and I am contintuing to reforest. I would like to receive familiar support for maintenance. We need a bit of alimento etc to complement. For me it's important to continue this support

    There were families that reforested their secundary forest. Maintenance is the issue, it needs budget too. Can maintenance be incorporated in the new project?

    Rodolpho: the need for maintenance is more individual, we will follow up the plots and give support according to the . This support is not general, but will ad-hoc, looking at the reality in the field

    (Part of the reunion not understandable since it was in Harakbut language :D)
    Read more