Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Alcatraz (bucket list stuff)

    October 11, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Not up as early as intended today, as the travel catches up with us a bit, down to breakfast which is pleasant enough for a buffet, then we are out to pick up our Alcatraz and hop on/off bus tickets, we are located 3.20 pm for departure.
    We have a little wander on to pier 39 and watch the sea lions in the bay, we decide to jump on the bus to union square, into Macy’s for a bit of shopping, before mooching around a few more shops. Then it’s refreshment time, Joe has found a bar Sam’s cable car lounge we meet him and Rhys there. Have a half pint each, Taity clocks whilst vaping that beer is $8.50 during happy hour ( we aren’t in happy hour) we decide to check out the tab and are “gobsmacked at the $33 bill for 2 halves, safe to say that there is some chuntering about the price all together $100 for 6 halves wow.
    We return to the bus to get back to our departure point for Alcatraz but the bus takes 2 hrs to get back and we only have 1 hr 30, we decide to walk the 35 mins back via another bar this time we make sure of the prices up front (half the price of the last gaff)
    We arrive at departure point early, so the lads get a “Glizzy” (hotdog) then into the queue for Alcatraz. Ferry over to Alcatraz and then we are at “The Rock” lots of walking but the cell block and stories surrounding it do not disappoint., I’ve always wanted to visit Alcatraz after watching a documentary about it years ago, bucket list item ticked, last ferry back at 6.30 pm. We wander back to the hotel for a freshen up, Joe decides to take a scooter back.
    The lads go out before, us, Janet and I visit the Taits room for a beer, it’s at this point El Don realises that he had brought bangers in his luggage, well man bag, which he had with him on the plane, how he didn’t get pulled at security is a mystery, we meet the lads in a bar and get a recommendation for a pizza place, it’s a good recommendation, Tony’s Pizzeria for some proper Pizza. Once we’ve filled our boots the lads leave us for another bar and we wander back to the hotel, via the 7 11 for a six pack (we’re such cheapskates)
    Sit for a beer outside we are all knackered after our epic day and over 10 miles of walking. We retire around 11.30. The lads aren’t far behind us, they blame too much food.
    Read more