Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The ying to yesterdays yang

    October 14, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Started today with Wendy’s breakfast, and a few beggars touting for cash, then back to hotel to ask about bus tours, the very helpful young lady in reception, told us about a free bus to the Griffith Observatory, to be honest it wasn’t on my list of to do’s, but Joe had done a bit of research and he really pulled this one out the bag.
    We caught the free bus to the observatory, it was busy due in some part to the partial eclipse that took place this morning, camera crews, news stations had all setup in the hills. They had various very powerful telescopes focused on the sun that you could look through with experts talking you through what you were looking at.
    Some great views of the “Hollywood” sign as well, probably the best in town and beats walking up to the back of it, there are some great views of the city and a planetarium, really was worth the visit.
    From there we took the free bus back to the metro and ventured out to Santa Monica Pier, pleasant journey that took about an hour, lovely hot day and beautiful surroundings, the lads went off for a beer, Susan and Andrew went off, and Janet and I wandered down the pier, watched a little old boy get very excited catching his first fish, called for a “proper beer” needed to be at $16 plus tax, but it was a "Large" 24oz
    We all meet up for a few afternoon bevvies, before we leave the boys to wander along the sea front, taking in the views of the fitties working out.
    Time for some food, just as we finish our meal we get a call from Joe he’s split his shorts and his tackle is in full view, much to our amusement, not his, Janet buys him some replacement shorts as we laugh all the way down to the beach to drop them off, Janet, Susan, Andy and I decide to catch the bus to take in Rodeo drive (roadao) just for taity. Bus breaks down halfway there, great service as a replacement is on scene within 10 minutes to complete our journey. Completely the opposite of yesterday evening, affluent and distinguished are two words for rodeo drive and the surrounding area. Unfortunately, all the shops are closed at this time of night, and before you ask no that wasn't the plan, bus back to the hotel area and we discover a “proper” American bar, few beers before bed. The lads are still entertaining the locals down at Santa Monica Pier, they’ve found a karaoke bar and are banging out some tunes, much to the delight of their audience they tell us, they miss the last train back so fork out for a taxi, Joe is a bit worse for wear at this stage, but Rhys keeps him straight.
    Another internal flight tomorrow as we head to Vegas baby.
    Read more