Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Los angeles eye opener

    October 13, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    A real eye opener of a day today, down for breakfast, Joe decided to venture out for one last time in San Francisco, taking a scooter to Nob Hill and Lombard Street.
    Taxi to the airport is early, and we arrive in good time to check in, through security and it’s time for a couple of preflight beers, it’s a small plane with around 50 seats only. No sooner are we up in the air and a quick drink and we are landing a short 1hr 30 flight.
    It is a different setup to what I have seen before as you get a shuttle bus to the taxi/uber style rides, we manage to get a taxi for all six of us and luggage, taxi driver gives us some great tips on getting around the city using the metro. Arrive at the hotel and am a little apprehensive as some of the reviews aren’t great, but it’s clean enough and staff are friendly, All of our rooms are next to each other but Janet and I have an adjoining room, with some noisy kids in it, we request a swap and are duly obliged.
    Quick freshen up and change and we are down to the tube, that’s where the fun begins.
    Within a minute of being on the tube, we witness an argument between two locals over one playing his music too loud for the other’s liking, the younger guy (the one playing the music loudly) threatens to "cut" the older bloke at one stage, the older guy (the complainer gets off after two stops but not before “offering” the younger guy out, the younger guy stays put on the tube.
    One more stop and we are at Hollywood Boulevard and the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    Wow just wow, it is absolutely nothing like I had imagined, bistro bars affluent hotels and ambient atmosphere, no this place is Blackpool on steroids and lots of them, even the doorman have stab vests and guns, we walk nearly the full length of the walk to the start to find Elvis Presley’s star, then cross the road to continue looking at the various stars, and the Chinese Theatre where several stars have had their handprints immortalised in concrete on the pavement, time for some sustenance so we stop at a chicken bar for food and a couple of drinks whilst watching the world go by, there are some sights to say the least, for all Hollywood being a “glamorous” place it’s also a bit of a “shit hole” with more than its fair share of shall we say characters, once we’ve eaten the lads decide to find a few more bars whilst the oldies take the tube back to the hotel, we once again witness some strange characters on the tube, the hotels bar and restaurant are closed for refurbishment, so call time and have an early night, the boys aren't far behind us having their own experience on the tube as the Cops speak to a guy with a 5ft speaker that he is playing on full blast.
    Read more