Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 2 as Pilgrims

    April 8 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We woke to rain this morning 🙁
    After a light breakfast of toast and jam, the rain eased off so we donned our rain jackets and headed off to Pontedeume. We hadn’t gone too far, however, when the rain got heavier so we sheltered at a bus stop and put our waterproof pants on. We saw many more pilgrims today, we even met a group of young people from England at our lunch stop, an amazing restaurant attached to a gas station. Lunch service only began at 1pm!! After lunch the weather improved with only the occasional April shower.
    We came across several structures that were used as wash houses back in the day, built over a stream with constantly running water, and huts built on concrete stilts that are used to dry corn. Lots of small farms too and more abandoned homes. One was even for sale for 15,000 euros.
    Our accommodation tonight is considered a boutique hotel. We had to call for someone to let us in. The lady did not speak a word of English and we had a hilarious time using Google translate. We are the only guests and she told us to enjoy the house and left. We did a lot of climbing today just to reach Pontedeume but the hotel is out of town and that involved some more climbing. Someone stopped to chat on our way up and told us it was a mile straight up. The streets are unbelievably steep.
    At least we have a jump start for tomorrow.
    Read more