Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    And on Friday, we leave 😕

    May 12, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Enjoyed our last dinner in lovely Samui last night, after a lovely beach day. Mai Tai for sundowners at the Carnival Beach Club (happy hour, $6 each, such a bargain). Then a walk around the corner to Krua Thai which has been closed the whole time we have been here but reopened last night. We were the first ones there but it quickly filled up and was buzzing.
    We shared 3 starters, fish cakes, no names and pandanus wrapped chicken. All delicious but the standout was the chicken. It tasted like real roast chicken that mum used to make, when chickens had real flavour. Followed that up, rather bravely really because they were big serves, with beef massaman curry. Again delicious. Had with generous pours of wine, cheapest price on the island at 120 Baht (around $5].
    Up early this morning (even me) to see the last sunrise, have our last breakfast, last swim, then will need to pack and get in the sad wagon (as David calls it) at 11 to go to the airport.
    The sunrise photos clearly show Cape Frahn which is billed as a private and exclusive island, with chef David Thompson in residence at the restaurant. Today it looked like an island because the tide was in, but yesterday we could have walked over to it. And the guests arrive by funny looking jeep trolleys that drive through the water. I tell ya, if I was paying those prices to stay on an island I would be wanting to arrive on a launch (think Monaco in the 60s).

    David will finish off the blog later with our return adventures but it is bye from me. It has been a lovely holiday, I know the blog is not very exciting or full of new things, but a true reflection of how relaxing it has been.
    Read more